Skip to main content

Classroom Video for Professional Development

My recent posts have been reflections on my involvement in a blended/hybrid education technology professional development on the integration of The Geometer's Sketchpad into high school and middle school math.  This post reflects on the use of classroom video in the online component, and my thoughts on how schools/teachers could be using this tool to inform their own practice.

Part of the online component my participants are currently involved in includes videos of teachers using Sketchpad in the classroom.  The video they watch this week includes the teacher in the video's thought process, the students actually in the classroom, and reflection of what happened.  It is fascinating reading the discussion from my online participants on what they are seeing in the video and how they then connect what they are observing and hearing to themselves. Comments such as:
"I liked how the vocabulary was embedded in the lesson without focusing on it - it let students learn without feeling pressure"
"My strategies for using the software would be to explore the tools with my students and make a learning team" (similar to what was seen on the video with round table discussions"
"Computer use could be an obstacle but the teacher seemed to work just fine with the lab top in front of everyone.  You could also just use the lab top with whole-small-whole concept"
Teachers are clearly focusing on different aspects, but thinking of their students and also reflecting and commenting on how they personally would change or use the same ideas. Seeing someone else doing what they will eventually be doing themselves provides a chance to plan and anticipate.

Which has me thinking about the use of classroom video for professional development in general, not just online - why don't we use it more?

Naturally, it makes sense in an online environment to have classroom video, since the online environment includes links and resources that participants can access easily and asynchronously. But I think it's something we should be using more regularly, both informally and formally, in face-to-face teacher professional development.  Informally, it could be used as a personal reflection exercise for teachers, peer groups, or coaches/mentors. A teacher films themselves teaching and then either on their own or with a colleague or coach/mentor, looks at what happened and reflects on their own behaviors or student behaviors to inform their practice.

In more formal settings, such as department or district meetings, classroom video analysis is a great way to incorporate collaboration and reflection on instructional practice, whereby teachers are looking at different aspects of the classroom video, reflecting on what they are seeing and how it impacts student learning.The goal in either situation is to focus on specific aspects of the video, such as the questioning skills or wait time, or behaviors of students during group work, etc. This type of analysis and reflection can lead teachers to consider their own instructional practices, make connections between teacher behaviors and student behaviors, and hopefully, provide a way to help change and improve their own practice.

My suggestion for anyone trying to 'improve' teacher practice is to consider using classroom video as one avenue of learning and promoting change. There are resources out there or it's pretty easy to tape a classroom with the abundance of recording devices out there and it provides a valuable tool for reflecting, collaboration, and informing and improving instructional practice. 

To get you started, here is a quick video from YouTube with Melissa Burkhead using Sketchpad and a SmartBoard with her students. What can you learn?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Implementation Dip - It's Not Just Test Scores, It's Any Change

I read this article yesterday by Andrew Ujifusa entitled New Tests Put States on Hot Seat as Scores Plunge . Basically, states that have implemented new standardized tests to address revised academic standards, such as the Common Core State Standards, have seen a drop in student scores, so panic has ensued. What I want to know is: has no one ever heard about the implementation dip? Whenever you try to implement something new, there is going to be a period of adjustment, scores will go down if we are talking tests, classroom behaviors will change and achievement will go down if new teaching strategies are being implemented - in short, any time you try something new, it is NOT going to go exactly as planned!  Mistakes will happen, things will be bad before they get better - it's part of the whole change process.  Which is why we need to be implementing changes slowly, early, and over time so that things that go wrong can be adjusted. Image from images.google.com What is th

Social Media's Impact on Personal Life - Personal Reflections

The question - does social media impact personal life? The answer - yes.  Is that a good thing or a bad thing? The answer - it depends. I have been on vacation the past week or so and am currently on personal leave to finish writing my dissertation proposal (which, as you can see, I am procrastinating!) During my vacation, I swore I would take a break from blogging, Twitter, email, and all things electronic. I lied. I admit - I did honestly make the attempt and in fact, did not turn on my computer one time.  However, the iPad is a constant companion, especially since the books I am reading (currently, the Game of Thrones series) are on there, so I had the iPad with me a lot - even on the beach.  It was very easy to check if I had emails, to check out my Facebook or to send a Twitter or two.  Long story short, I failed miserably at the disconnecting aspect. View from chair and under canopy! Which brings me back to the question of does social media impact personal life? The o

Lecture, Direct-Instruction or Talk - There's the Confusion!

In yesterday's weekly #edchat Twitter collaboration the discussion focused on the flipped classroom, where, naturally, there was quite a bit of debate around the idea of video lectures. What became apparent was the many different interpretations of the term 'lecture'. This came to the forefront for me when I offered up the idea of TED Talks as one option for learning rather than a teacher's video lecture, and someone said "TED talks are just lectures, so how is that better?" This stumped me as I have never thought of a TED talk as a lecture, which is funny, because now, forced to think about it, I guess they could be construed as lectures, depending on your definition. Which of course has led me to this post!  Obviously, my perception of a lecture is not the same as others. What is MY definition of a lecture? Perhaps it's my many years of being both a student and a teacher, but for me a 'lecture' has rather negative connotations, as I envisio