Skip to main content

QR Codes: Implications in the Classroom

I hadn't really thought about QR code use in educational settings until my recent exposure and personal experience with a new app. EDU +, released by Casio to support their Classwiz scientific calculator. It got me interested in how QR codes are being utilized in classroom settings.

In my research I have found some interesting suggestions for using QR codes in education. Steven.Anderson has some great postings and links about QR coding ,which led me to several articles and resources. One in particular, Tom Barrett's slide show on "40 Interesting Ways to use QR Codes in the Classroom" gave me insight into the possibilities of QR codes for teaching and learning. I particularly liked idea #7 of adding QR codes to word documents for students to check their answers. He has 40, so it's worth a look!

Basically, QR codes are information - up to 4000 characters. QR codes can be used to link students to more information (reviews, pictures, graphs). Embedding QR codes into web pages, documents, and other resources allows students to access additional facts about what they are seeing/reading.  For example, placing QR codes on books in the library can allow students to link to reviews of books. There are multiple uses simply by scanning a QR code. I think of it as a short cut to more information, allowing students to quickly expand on their learning.

I can give an example of this 'more information'  from my brief, personal experience last week in Japan at the Global Teachers Meeting at Casio R&D working with the Classwiz scientific calculator. This calculator has the ability to create a QR code directly within the calculator function (example, a QR code of a table of values). Using the EDU+ app from either an iPhone or iPad, the QR code is scanned directly from the calculator and creates the link, which can then be embedded on webpages, documents, emails and other places for students to access. Clicking this link brings up a graph of the data, allowing students to see and change graphical display of their data. (Here is an example of the QR code link I created while I was hands-on learning with the calculator and my iPhone).

http://wes.casio.com/class/JZ5W-OFs5-ZMNd-riqr
I realize this begs the question, why not just use a graphing calculator? I think accessibility to graphing calculators is one reason - scientific calculators are more prevalent in elementary and middle grades, even lower grades in high school.  I think another reason  is diversity - a QR code can be used in many places so students can visually see data graphically, whether they have the calculator or not, The teacher can use QR codes to show things on tests, websites, emails, allowing access to information/pictures that  may be limited normally. Lots of possibilities.

QR Codes on books
My example is just one specific use of QR codes, in a math setting. There are many examples of using QR codes for different subjects and purposes,  such as enhancing class projects or communicating with parents. If you are interested in exploring QR codes further, here are some suggested links:
LiveBinder/Steve.Anderson , 12 Ideas for Teaching with QR Codes, QR Codes in the Classroom (this one by Kathy Schrock is great - lists QR readers, and has tons of links), 50 QR Codes for the Classroom,

For me, what I have gleaned from my hands-on experience and research on QR codes, is you do not have to be limited by your space or devices. QR codes provide an ability to post information in multiple ways and places, allowing additional information to reach students in a variety of ways. Obviously, there is the limitation of needing a device that can read QR codes, but with the availability and prevalence of smartphones and apps, I think QR codes might show up much more frequently in educational settings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Implementation Dip - It's Not Just Test Scores, It's Any Change

I read this article yesterday by Andrew Ujifusa entitled New Tests Put States on Hot Seat as Scores Plunge . Basically, states that have implemented new standardized tests to address revised academic standards, such as the Common Core State Standards, have seen a drop in student scores, so panic has ensued. What I want to know is: has no one ever heard about the implementation dip? Whenever you try to implement something new, there is going to be a period of adjustment, scores will go down if we are talking tests, classroom behaviors will change and achievement will go down if new teaching strategies are being implemented - in short, any time you try something new, it is NOT going to go exactly as planned!  Mistakes will happen, things will be bad before they get better - it's part of the whole change process.  Which is why we need to be implementing changes slowly, early, and over time so that things that go wrong can be adjusted. Image from images.google.com What is th

Social Media's Impact on Personal Life - Personal Reflections

The question - does social media impact personal life? The answer - yes.  Is that a good thing or a bad thing? The answer - it depends. I have been on vacation the past week or so and am currently on personal leave to finish writing my dissertation proposal (which, as you can see, I am procrastinating!) During my vacation, I swore I would take a break from blogging, Twitter, email, and all things electronic. I lied. I admit - I did honestly make the attempt and in fact, did not turn on my computer one time.  However, the iPad is a constant companion, especially since the books I am reading (currently, the Game of Thrones series) are on there, so I had the iPad with me a lot - even on the beach.  It was very easy to check if I had emails, to check out my Facebook or to send a Twitter or two.  Long story short, I failed miserably at the disconnecting aspect. View from chair and under canopy! Which brings me back to the question of does social media impact personal life? The o

Lecture, Direct-Instruction or Talk - There's the Confusion!

In yesterday's weekly #edchat Twitter collaboration the discussion focused on the flipped classroom, where, naturally, there was quite a bit of debate around the idea of video lectures. What became apparent was the many different interpretations of the term 'lecture'. This came to the forefront for me when I offered up the idea of TED Talks as one option for learning rather than a teacher's video lecture, and someone said "TED talks are just lectures, so how is that better?" This stumped me as I have never thought of a TED talk as a lecture, which is funny, because now, forced to think about it, I guess they could be construed as lectures, depending on your definition. Which of course has led me to this post!  Obviously, my perception of a lecture is not the same as others. What is MY definition of a lecture? Perhaps it's my many years of being both a student and a teacher, but for me a 'lecture' has rather negative connotations, as I envisio